Next up: the lovely Sharon Caddie behind @textfromafriend.
1) How did Text from a Friend come about? It literally began as actual texts from friends that made me laugh and I thought I’d handwrite them, take a pic and post on social media. I made them anonymous as sometimes they were rude, or people were doing things they shouldn’t have been. So I thought I’d subtly write “Text From A Friend’ underneath the scribbles and spare their embarrassment (or secrets haha). People then started to ask to create cards and prints and I thought I could be onto something and took the plunge to develop six designs to start with.
2) As a kid, what did you want to be when you were older? I wanted to direct music videos. I’ve written and art directed some tv commercials and little short films so I almost got there. I also knew I wanted to go to Art School but no one ever really told you how to go about doing that sort of stuff and when the ‘careers advisor’ at school suggested becoming a nursery school teacher or taking up home economics I just knew there was no way I was going to be doing a normal 9-5 job. That was the most important thing.
3) Who is your inspiration? Oooohhhh - I have lots. Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, my friend Scott Lawrie who built his very on New Zealand Grand Design home, Holly Tucker, and lots of small business owners who are doing it for themselves.
4) What would be your most amazing adventure to go on? I still want to book that round the world ticket…I almost did before launching Text From A Friend but alas I am now almost always handcuffed to my desk but one day soon I will do it. I still have the itinerary which was Singapore, Bali, Oz, New Zealand, Fiji, LA, NY and then home to Glasgow.
5) What's you favourite song? Last Night A DJ Saved My Life - are you singing it now?
6) Who would play you in a movie? Uma Thurman - only because I’d want to be as cool as she is ;)
7) What advice would you give your younger self? He is definitely not worth it. Don’t be afraid. Everything happens for a reason so just go for it. Try to procrastinate just a little bit less. Always go with your gut and believe in yourself more than you do.